Company Law is bread and butter for a Company Secretary. It’s your core subject and you have to master it.
Executive Company Law forms a base for 4 subjects of Professional. So make peace with it and trust me, it is a wonderful subject and you’ll fall in love with it.
Whats the right method?
- At executive level, you are not required to remember sections and form numbers. Please do not waste your time in memorizing them. (Sections are important in Tax since it is an MCQ paper).
- Understand the provisions of law. Your interpretation skills should be strong. If it is not, keep reading, you will understand slowly. Do not give up. Once you understand the provisions, the subject is really easy. The ICSI Module is self explanatory. The provisions are explained in layman’s language and presented systematically. If you are interested, read the bare act (PDF is available on mca.gov.in) (Don’t start the bare act a few months before the exam)
- Decide one book from which you are going to study and stick to it till the end. Always keep a pencil in hand while reading and use it! Underline or highlight the crux of the provision, write meanings or examples, write the steps of any procedure in the margin in short, etc. This helps in quick revision one night before exam.
- Do not change reference books 3 months before the exam. The syllabus is vast. You will get baffled if you see a new book when your brain is bursting with exam pressure.
- Refer old question papers and write atleast one answer a day. Your writing skills will gradually improve. Writing practice is a must for theory papers.
“Being a student is easy. Learning requires actual work.”William Crawford
Presentation of answers-
- Direct questions : Give a brief introduction about the topic. Write the relevant provision or concept asked for. Conclude. If it is a true/false question, never begin the answer saying ‘It is true or false’ . First explain the concept and in the last line mention true or false.
- Case laws : Maximum questions are Case laws. Begin the answer with, “The given question pertains to the provisions of CA,2013 relating to _____.”Explain the provision of law without referring to the question. Second para should comprise of pure law. Third para, apply the legal provisions to given question and conclude the case. There is only 1 mark for conclusion. So even if you do not know the answer, atleast write the provision. You may get 3/5.
- All answers should be to the point. Marks are deducted for writing less and also for writing extra irrelevant crap.
Please attempt atleast 95 marks paper. 10–15 marks are always deducted. You may goof up 10–20 marks. Out of 95, you may end up scoring 55–60, which is fair enough.
Do’s and Dont’s –
- As you already know Company Law and SEBI Regulation are core subject for company Secretary course as well as in career.
- Always prefer module as primary book. It is most important to read module atleast one time.
- While studying company law one has to maintain balance for studying exam and for to get expertise. more focus should be for exam.
- Currently ICSI is asking practical question as well as theoretical.
- Update with continues amendment in Company Law 2013 even if not applicable to exam that help to get good score in CL.
- Remember all important provision.
- Don’t try to remember when u reading first time.
- Read entire subject at least 3 time.
- understand logic of provision and intention of law maker.
- Dont’ mess yourself with various teachers notes at exam time.
- Dont’ Learn the law, your approach should be on understanding the concept.
- Always take test of yourself. Take any year paper and start solving like you are giving exam in real. This will boost your morale at examination hall.
- Don’t try to revise from module at the last moment. Always prefer your hand notes or revision notes.
Hope you’ve liked the article on the subject. For giving us thanks you may leave a comment below. See you in next blog.
For any help mail your query at su[email protected]